Monday, July 25, 2011

Art all around us.


"Architecture is visual art, and the buildings think for themselves."   Julia Morgan.
  My favourite things to capture on camera are usually people or nature. Lately however, I have become interested in architecture. We saw some fascinating buildings and sculptures on our recent trip through Victoria and NSW. In this post I'm going to share some of my favourites with you.



 
The sphere above is a sculpture attached to the National Art Gallery in Canberra. To take this photo I stood close to the side of the building and positioned my camera to aim upwards.  I really love the way the light is reflected in this photo.





I like this photo too. It features a walkway just outside the Australian Portrait Gallery. I love the perspective, the clean sharp lines, and the way it seems to draw you in.




This sculpture is found outside the National Museum. In real life the colour is a striking red, but I like it in black and white. I especially like how the sculpture forms a circular window to look through.




Well I guess you know what this building is! I took this photo from the front of Parliament House.
I really like the clouds in the background, and the fact that you can see this flag from almost anywhere in Canberra.



 Here it is from a different angle. We took the lift up to the roof of the building - which is actually a garden by the way - and I stood under the flag pole to achieve this shot.



This picturesque pond lies like a feature door mat before Parliament House. The unique spectacle are the water ripples that appear to run in a snaking pattern.




The war Memorial was a favourite, with it's solid courtyard, temple-like structure and graceful arches contrasting with the trees lining its paths and the tranquility of the gardens.    



For me this picture represents hope, with the clouds in the background and the grave, majestic feature of the dome.



This is the Wall of Honour, which stands inside the War Memorial. The crimson poppies that line the wall are placed next to the countless number of names of those who fought and died for Australia. With honour they stood. With honour they fell. With honour they rest.


The War Memorial's Eternal Flame is centered in the middle of the Pool of Reflection. It is a symbol of our gratitude and remembrance of those Australians who have died in war. The crystal waters are littered with coins, thrown by respectful tourists. I remember feeling solemn and awed in this place.  




Finally, the statue of Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop, who appears to be strolling idly in front of the spectacular dome of the War Memorial. Sir Weary was a surgeon during WW2 and is remembered for his care of those Australians taken prisoner by the Japanese. In this photo the clouds above sketch patterns of peace and grace.    


1 comment: